Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Application failed to start because the application configur

From: Phillip Paradis <phillip.paradis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 17:14:57 -0700
The "Application failed to start because the application configuration is
incorrect" message indicates that the manifest isn't properly referencing
the MS C runtimes in binaries built in VS 2005. I fixed this on my system
adding a few commands to the makefile to import the manifest into the
binaries and delete *.manifest before building the installer. IIRC, this was
addressed in a recent SVN revision; I haven't had a chance to look at it
since.

--
Phil

On 5/31/07 5:03 PM, "Stephen Fisher" <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2007 at 04:38:39AM -0700, Pataki Szilard wrote:

> I wrote two
> new dissectors and compiled them as plugins, following the
> instructions in
> the Developer guide. I also created the executable
> installer (using NSIS).
> The installer works (it also installs
> WinPCap), but Wireshark starts up
> only on the PC, where it has been
> built. In other words, if I take the
> installer, perform the
> installation on another PC and start Wireshark, I
> get the following
> error message: "The application failed to start, because
> the
> application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application
>
> might solve the problem."

What if you build an installer on the first machine
> and don't include
the additional plugins?  Does it still give that error
> message?

> Any clues, what the problem might be? How can I get a bit more
> verbose
> error messages?

Not sure, I usually use Unix.  Sorry.

> I also
> tried to copy my own dissectors (2 dlls) into the plugins/
> folder of a
> default Wireshark installation (as downloaded from WWW).
> The error message
> was "mydissector.dll not found.", where mydissector
> is the name of my
> dissector :-)

That is known to not always work because of API changes between
> each
version.  Basically, you have to use the plugins on the exact same build

version/SVN revision as you built them with right
> now.

Steve