Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Packet reassembly

From: "Kevin Wuang" <kevin.wuang@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2007 09:24:40 +0200
Good day, everyone,

i am the rookie in using Wireshark since i only discovered it 2 weeks ago, but i am interested in joining the development team. So as a pet project i am trying to reconstruct a simple text file that i transmitted between 2 PCs wirelessly (IEEE 802.11) and unencrypted.

For the testing scenario for the project, i now setup 2 PCs (PC A and B) with WLAN PCI card in WinXP enviroment and a Dell router as the access point (AP). And if PC A sends the text file to PC B wirelessly and unencrypted, the file will route through the AP then to PC B. To transmit the text file, i simply share one of the folders out from PC A so PC B can also see it when the file is dropped in the folder.

I already got some useful tips from Mr Guy Harris, so now, i get the cap file that recorded the process, and i know SMB protocol
is being used for the transmission, how may i reconstruct the text file that was transferred?  Do i need to use dissector to dissect the packets in the cap file and filter them to get to the SMB protocol?

Thank you and wish you all have a nice day.

Regards,
Kevin