Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] "Save ... before ..." dialogs: "Yes/No/Cancel" buttons for a

From: "Bill Meier" <wmeier@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 10:08:36 -0400
Guy Harris wrote:

> The example in the GNOME HIG (figure 3.17 on the GNOME HIG page linked
> from my previous message) offers "Close without Saving", "Cancel", and
> "Save"; that seems to be their recommendation.
>
> The KDE HIG offers "Save", "Discard", and "Cancel".
>
> Microsoft's "Commit buttons for indirect dialog boxes" example offers
> "Save", "Don't Save", and "Cancel".

> However, it might well be that, after you've used a desktop environment
> for a while, you respond to the wording sub-consciously, and you'd have
> to stop and think (even if only for a second) when confronted with an
> unfamiliar button label, so the label used for other apps in the same
> environment would be best.
>
> Were we to do that, we could do that on Windows (as we can find out
> whether we're running on Windows at compile time), and (sort-of) do that
> on OS X ("sort-of" because, for now, we're building with the X11 version
> of GTK+, so, in theory, it could be running on OS X but displaying on a
> GNOME or KDE desktop), but KDE vs. GNOME vs. some other environment is
> trickier.

So: Given all of the above, I suggest using the Gnome-type dialogs for
    non-Windows and the Microsoft recommendation for Windows.

That is:
 Gnome
   "Save capture file before program quit?"
      "Quit without Saving", "Cancel", "Save"

   "Save capture file before closing it?"
      "Close without Saving", "Cancel", "Save"

   "Save capture file before starting a new capture?"
   "Save capture file before opening a new one?"
       "Continue without Saving", "Cancel", "Save"

   "Save the capture file before merging to another one?"
     "Cancel", "Save"   (was: "Cancel", "Ok")
     (Note: "Continue without Saving" is not a valid choice for this dialog)

  Windows:
   "Save", "Don't Save", "Cancel" for all but the 'Merge' dialog

   "Save", "Cancel" for the 'Merge" dialog.

Comments ?

Thanks
Bill