Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] PAD file and automatic version checking

From: Gerald Combs <gerald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 17:10:14 -0700
Jaap Keuter wrote:
> Hi Gerald,
>
> On the Wireshark download page a PAD file can be found that can be used
> for version checking. Version checking is an item on the release list for
> .6 (Win32). What I can't figure out is how the update is being checked on
> the client PC? How/by what software is the PAD file being checked and an
> update handled?

The PAD file is used by download sites such as Softpedia and SnapFiles
to update their Wireshark entries automatically.  It isn't being used by
Wireshark presently.

We might be able to use it for automatic updates.  The PAD file format
is extensible, and it allows for things like digital signatures.
Details can be found at http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/specs.asp .