Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Update to the COPYING file

From: "Eric Wedel" <ewedel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 15:31:23 -0700
Can't resist a little comment on the spacing question.
TeX (and apparently, LaTeX) includes the \frenchspacing option
which turns off double spaces after periods.

http://www-h.eng.cam.ac.uk/help/tpl/textprocessing/teTeX/latex/latex2e-h
tml/frenchsp.html

Knuth spent some time investigating things like this, so
presumably non-French / European / ? languages at least at
some time did prefer double spaces.  With typewriter text
it does look better, at least to my (US) eye.