Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] bug?? in Wireshark release 0.99.5.exe for windows

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2007 09:53:53 -0700
Oezguer Akkaya wrote:

I recognized strange behaviour on my machine. I installed latest stable version of wireshark and I am able to capture, which is fine but as soon as start also a Browser (IE 7 and/or firefox) there is not much on going. It looks like Wireshark is blocking the interface to be used by other applications as soon as start a capture.

It's probably not Wireshark, as Wireshark itself can't do that.

It's probably an issue with WinPcap and some other software running on your machine. What happens if you download WinDump:

	http://www.winpcap.org/windump/install/default.htm

and capture on the same interface with WinDump? If that also causes problems with that interface, then it's a WinPcap problem; report it to the WinPcap developers:

	http://www.winpcap.org/bugs.htm

Note all the details on that page, including the set of information to report when you report the bug - especially the

The list of all the special networking software, such as firewalls and VPN clients, that are installed on the machine.

item. Report *ALL* of that software; WinPcap often has problems with firewalls and VPN clients.