Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Network Monitor 3.1 Info

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 16:59:29 -0700

On May 9, 2007, at 12:46 AM, Graham Bloice wrote:

· Wireless (802.11) capturing and monitor mode on Vista - With supported hardware, (Native WIFI), you can now trace wireless management packets.
You can scan all channels or a subset of the ones your wireless NIC
supports. You can also focus in on one specific channel. We now show the
wireless metadata for normal wireless frames. This is really cool for
t-shooting wireless problems. See signal strength and transfer speed as
you walk around your house!

Cool - I saw some stuff about Native Wi-Fi in Vista, but wasn't sure whether it'd let a network analyzer get raw 802.11 packets.

Of course, on certain other OSes that might well have run on your PC well before Vista came out, you could already do that, but....

Hopefully either WinPcap will be able to directly access that stuff through NDIS or they'll be able to use whatever driver NM3 uses to get at it.