Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Debug build of wireshark w/installer built on XP with 99.5 s

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 May 2007 11:24:01 +0200
Phillip R. Paradis wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: wireshark-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:wireshark-dev-
bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Phillip R. Paradis
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 4:03 PM
To: wireshark-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Wireshark-dev] Debug build of wireshark w/installer built on
XP with 99.5 sources using MSVC8 will not load on Server 2003

I've built Wireshark 99.5 on an XP Pro (SP-2) machine with MSVC8 (from
Visual Studio 2005 Pro). Wireshark runs perfectly on the XP box; if I
generate an installer and use the installer to install on a Server 2003
R2
(SP-2) system, Wireshark fails to launch, with VC++ runtime error
R6034.
(app attempted to load C runtime incorrectly)

After a bit of reading and a bit more banging my head into a wall, I've managed to get it working.

Server 2003 ignores or misinterprets the *.manifest files for some reason; integrating the manifest into the binary fixes the problem, e.g.:

mt -manifest wireshark.exe.manifest -outputresource:wireshark.exe;1

I've changed the Makefile.nmake file(s) accordingly.

Regards, ULFL