Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] OpcUa update

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 05 May 2007 13:22:51 +0200
Gerhard Gappmeier wrote:
Hi Ulf,

here is an updated version of the OpcUa dissector with a changed
security layer.
I also attached a new capture file with more traffic for the regression
test.

Hi Gerhard!

Sorry for the delay!

I've had a look at your dissector now and unfortunately it lacks the required robustness.

A fuzzed Sample.cap file (attached) crashed TShark and took a *very* long time (2 mins) to load in WS.

Some points that I've seen immediately:
- you *must* end *every* value_string you use by a an ending sequence { 0, NULL }, otherwise unexpected values coming from the network will result in an access violation, as the corresponding access functions will run into the wrong memory areas - e.g. opcua.c / g_szMessageTypes unnecessarily re-implements a value_string - this bloats code size and complexity

Please have a look at http://wiki.wireshark.org/FuzzTesting to do some more regression tests on your own ...

Regards, ULFL