Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 21556: /trunk/epan//trunk/epan/: pro

From: "Anders Broman" <a.broman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:34:54 +0200
Hi,
The function I provided also allows for bit strings not aligned to
the octet boundary and the output will look like:
If the data at offset 0 is a5 and we want the two last bits of the first
Octet and the two first of the second:
Bit_offset = 3 no_of_bits = 4 hf_bits_value
The output will look like
..10 01..  Bits_value : 9

I suppose it's a matter of taste if the input should be
Offset in bytes and bit offset + number of bits or
Offset in bits and number of bitts. My thought was that if you
Are to dissect a number of bittfields in sequence its easier to
Keep track of the offset in bits rather than octets.

I'm sure it can be made more efficient though.

If we can agree on the basic format I'm sure the function can be improved,
Which was the whole idea anyway.
Best regards
Anders