Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] pcap_breakloop and MacOSX

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 15:41:27 -0700

On Apr 20, 2007, at 6:13 AM, Sebastien Tandel wrote:

The configure script outputs the following warning in the case the
library is more recent than the header :

checking whether pcap library is more recent than pcap header... yes

I.e., this would replace the existing check? If so, I'd check both pcap_breakloop() and pcap_findalldevs() in that test, so that if the test succeeds, you know both of those functions are usable.

configure: WARNING:
Your pcap library is more recent than your pcap header. Wireshark won't be compiled with functions not defined in this header. It would be therefore
better to install the newer pcap header.

I suspect a lot of people won't see warnings such as that (I probably wouldn't), but it's still worth printing it.

I might have it say

Your pcap library is more recent than your pcap header file. Wireshark won't be able to use functions not declared in that header. You should install a newer
	version of the header file.

and perhaps do a check to see if it's running on OS X 10.3 and, if so, specifically suggest that they use the libpcap 0.8.3 header. (On most other OSes either

1) libpcap comes with the OS, but any update would probably update the headers

or

2) libpcap doesn't come with the OS, so it was installed from source, and the library and headers would probably match

so OS X 10.3 is probably the only place you'd see this.)