Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] no more Python 2.1.1

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:54:02 +0800

Gerald Combs wrote:
Jeff Morriss wrote:
My Solaris builds now fail with:

Making register.c with python
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "../../tools/make-dissector-reg.py", line 98, in ?
    cur_mtime = os.fstat(file.fileno()).st_mtime
AttributeError: 'tuple' object has no attribute 'st_mtime'
with Python 2.1.1 .

I guess it's time to upgrade.  No big deal for me, but should it be
mentioned somewhere (before the next release)?

Or better yet, tested for in, say, 'configure'?

(Sorry, I'm very short on time at the moment but I wanted to mention it before I forget.)

I've checked in a change (in r21459) that should fix the immediate mtime
issue.  The Python section Developer's Guide says "version 2.2 and above
should be working fine."  Should we enforce Python >= 2.2 in autoconf
and/or win32-setup.sh?

I can confirm the workaround works.

It seems reasonable to me to force a more modern Python--I imagine 2.1 is quite ancient by now and it's not like upgrading should be terribly painful (unlike the Gtk1->Gtk2 switch).