Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Newbie to wireshark development,help !

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 17:19:36 +0800

RayFred Pip wrote:
Wireshark development team:
I want to be a developer of *wireshark* project. But I got problems mainly on how to get involved into it quickly. I have a wish for wireshark that I want to implement. That is to add a "content playback" functionality(playback the captured bits as its original format so that human can read and understand them) for wireshark.

Hmm, usually Wireshark is used to interpret the bits to make them human-readable but I'm not sure what you mean by "playback."

It is now easy job though.And I even don't know how to get into it as quickly as possible beginning from scratch. I have read the web pages on the official site and the Developer's Guide from which I got information of how wireshark works and how to set up a development environment for it ,BUT until now wireshark has become a big project and software that has too many C codes .Should I begin with reading codes and understand all the APIs and what anything else ...?
   Any good suggestions please ?

When I started Wireshark coding all I read was doc/README.developer--it was enough to get started writing dissectors. You "should" only need to go digging into Wireshark's code and header files if you're doing bleeding-edge not-quite-documented-yet or not-done-before stuff.