Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Parallel Redundancy Protocol (PRP) dissector

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 16:26:11 +0800

Meier Sven (msv) wrote:
This is a dissector for the Parallel Redundancy Protocol (PRP) defined in chapter 6 of the IEC 62439.

PRP uses two independent networks in parallel and allows redundancy without switchovers.

The protocol is sending Mac multicast messages with Ethertype 0x88fb. In addition to that it adds to every Ethernet frame a 4 byte trailer before the FCS. The trailer is detected by checking a size field and an identifier which are part of the trailer. Therefore, if the last 4 bytes of a frame match a correct trailer they get interpreted as a trailer, although it was probably not a real one.

Is there some way to know if the trailer is going to be there without searching for it? As it is, registered as a postdissector (didn't even know those existed until now), this dissector will get called for every frame--which seems a bit excessive to me.

If there's no way to know ahead of time, maybe this dissector should be disabled by default, though I'm not sure how to best go about doing that.