Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Controlling the location of plugins directory

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:41:29 +0200
> > Yes, I think so, assuming that it controls where
> > plugins are found as well as the preferences.
> > Wouldn't it have been cleaner to use two options,
> > instead of one option plus a string qualifier
> > (i.e. "persconf:" vs "persdata:")?
>
> I'll have to defer to Ulf on that. There was no doubt some reasoning
> behind it.

Hi!

Given the fact that we already have a lot of options and we might need some more -P "suboptions" in the future (e.g. "temp", "plugin", ...), I was simply assuming that in the long run we're running out of letters. There might be other options in the future also in a need for a letter. So having a "suboption" under -P seemed a good idea to me. As -a and -b already working similiar, I didn't even invented a new mechanism for it.

BTW: I don't see any reason to call it clean or unclean anyway ...

Regards, ULFL