Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Controlling the location of plugins directory

From: Bob Doolittle <Robert.Doolittle@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 10:54:50 -0400
Richard van der Hoff wrote:
Bob Doolittle wrote:
What about preferences, do they get stored in $WIRESHARK_HOME
as well?  That would be unfortunate - it would be undesirable to
maintain multiple copies...

Yes. You could symlink all the versions together though?

Yes, I suppose :)

It would be good to know if "-P persconf" solves your usecase.

Yes, I think so, assuming that it controls where
plugins are found as well as the preferences.
Wouldn't it have been cleaner to use two options,
instead of one option plus a string qualifier
(i.e. "persconf:" vs "persdata:")?

> I could always build my own, but that sort of defeats the purpose
> (i.e. I wouldn't need the plugin in my home directory - I could just
> put it into my built copies of wireshark).
Hrm; well, we don't do binary builds except for win32 and afaik we don't have any immediate plans for a release, so it's going to be a while before your favourite distro picks up any changes we make - so you're probably going to be stuck with building your own for a while, anyway...

In my case, I work in an enterprise where we have
a shared app server, and just want to pick up the
built version on the app server instead of
building my own (particularly since I will be
circulating the plugin to a number of folks, and
would rather not circulate a bunch of copies of
wireshark for multiple platforms as well).  I
could perhaps convince the maintainers of the app
server to build a new version as long as it's from
the main branch and the branch builds a stable
app.  Are your -P changes in the main repository
branch now?

-Bob