Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] proto_tree_add_item / hf_register_info addition (Was: BCD ?)

From: "Lars Worsaae" <lars.worsaae@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 09:17:44 +0200
All these strange variants. ..
And all of them are just integers in some sort
It seems to me like what we need (if it's not already there, and I
just havent found it)
is to have the posibility of letting the dissector specific code, do
the transformation
from what ever strange format the protocol uses, to the general
usefull once which wireshark supports.

Wireshark needs something to use for filtering and displaying the
field items, this dont need to be anything but string and integer.
Then the dissector should provide the transformation for odd fields.

How the details should be defined I dont feel competent to contribute
with - sorry.
But something like the above what free the base wireshark code from
handling all these strange kinds of BCD

It would also solve another little nag I have. My protocol uses a
string to convey an integer. So when you will filter you need to quote
and use leading zero's in order to get a match. If the data
transformation and the filtering was split in two (for this field
item) my dissector could transform the "array of ascii" to an integer
and the user
can forget about quotes and leading zero's

Rgds Lars

On 4/10/07, Luis Ontanon <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
That applies to ISUP as well, I've always wondered about the reason
behind this oddity.

-- Marshall McLuhan