Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] How to avoid the OS X error dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_re

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2007 13:10:04 -0700
I've found the fix for the MacOS X error below when running Wireshark
from the build directory:

--
dyld: Symbol not found: __cg_jpeg_resync_to_restart
  Referenced from:

Trace/BPT trap
--

You just need to upgrade glibtool (libtool).  Download the sources to
the latest stable version (1.5.22) and run something along the lines of:

  make
  - switch to root -
  make install
  mv /usr/bin/glibtool /usr/bin/glibtool.old
  mv /usr/bin/glibtoolize /usr/bin/glibtoolize.old
  mv /usr/local/bin/libtool /usr/local/bin/glibtool
  mv /usr/local/bin/libtoolize /usr/local/bin/glibtoolize

Then do something to make Wireshark regenerate the wireshark wrapper
script.  I've found that touching one of the dissector's files and
running make again does the job.  Anyone know of a better way?

This upgrade allows you to link Wireshark against libjpeg installed from
MacPorts (DarwinPorts) or Fink just as the default build does.  I've
filed "feedback" with Apple encouraging them to upgrade their version of
glibtool because this error comes up a lot in OSS projects if you search
the web for it.

Steve