Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Tabs in long subjects (a really really really long subject l

From: David Young <dyoung@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 14:33:07 -0500
On Wed, Apr 04, 2007 at 11:53:14AM +0100, Richard van der Hoff wrote:
> Richard van der Hoff wrote:> Something in the transmission path for mails to wireshark-dev (I assume > it's the wireshark.org Mailman, but who knows) seems to be wrapping > Subject: lines incorrectly. Essentially it replaces a space in the > subject with a CRLF followed by a tab.
> Hrm. My long subject didn't demonstrate the problem.... perhaps it's peoples mail-user-agents that do it, though I'm sure I've seen it happen to my own mails. Ignore me, for the time being, anyway...._______________________________________________Wireshark-dev mailing [email protected]http://www.wireshark.org/mailman/listinfo/wireshark-dev

[Apologies for the duplicate, I am trying to rule out a spam filter as
the cause.]

FWIW, that is how mutt renders your email.  Others' emails to the list
look similar.  Looking at the emails with hexdump, it appears that
something on the delivery path strips newlines.

Mutt indicates this content encoding, and all of the problem emails have
this encoding in common:

  I     1 <no description>                      [text/plain, 8bit, utf-8, 0.6K]

I have not ruled out the possibility that a virus/spam filter on my side
is corrupting the emails, but it is only wireshark-dev emails that are
corrupted in this way.

Dave

dyoung@xxxxxxxxxxx      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933