Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Regarding Winshark binaries

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:01:14 -0700
Manjunath P wrote:
Hi  all,
         I hv  a question.
Due to some dowloading problems, I am not able to build wireshark on Windows. So, I hv decided to build WS source in Linux itself.

I assume you need to change Wireshark or add a new dissector or tap to Wireshark, as you don't need to build the standard version in order to run Wireshark on Windows (there's a pre-built binary).

These  are my  queries
1) If I build WS, and write my own dissector (as a plugin or build with source ) in Linux, can the .exe file so genrated be executable in Windows

I know of nothing similar to Wine that would help you by allowing Linux, or other UN*X, binaries to run on Windows. (No, the Interix subsystem doesn't do that, as far as I know.)

I.e., an executable image for a UN*X such as Linux is not executable on Windows (and doesn't have a name ending with ".exe" - UN*X executables tend not to have any extension).

OR  is  there any necessity  for me to crs-compile??

You would have to cross-compile; I don't know what tools there are for building Windows executables on Linux - or whether, if any exist, they can be used to build Wireshark.