Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] New dissector for OpcUa protocol

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2007 19:25:08 +0200
Gerhard Gappmeier wrote:
Hello,

because I got no feedback on my last submit
I'm trying it again now.

I attached the new protocol dissector as follows:
1.) The patch for the makefile changes
2.) The new sources are in the attached zip file. (renamed to zip_ to
avoid mail filtering)
3.) A sample capture file to test the dissector.

Please take a look at sources if they are ok and add them to the repository.
Or give me some feedback if I need to change something.
Hi Gerhard!

Sorry, that I didn't respond, but I'm currently pretty busy in another project :-(

Some things I've noticed while doing a quick view:

a lot of the code seems to be autogenerated (as the comments suggest)
It might make sense to include the sources and the build process instead of the intermediate files (if the amount of code/tools to build the files seems reasonable). The reason: When people start to hack your code (e.g. to remove warnings on a compiler you don't even think about), you'll might get into annoying trouble with merging code the next time you've update the upcua files.

The example capture file seems pretty short regarding the code size. Having some more examples will make fuzz-testing more efficient - can you provide some more diverse to test? Did you fuzz-test the code yourself?

A wiki page about upcua would be nice :-)

I'll try to have a deeper look into your code next weekend, but I cannot promise ...

Regards, ULFL