Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Update official Windows build?

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 17:11:26 +0200
Gerald Combs wrote:
The official Windows installers are still built using Visual Studio 6.0.
 I'd like to switch over to Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition before the
next release.  Is there any reason not to do this?
Hi Gerald!

I like the idea to switch to MSVC 2005 EE, e.g. this would make the config.nmake file consistent with the recommended compiler in the developer's guide.

There seems to be repeating problems with the msvc runtime DLL msvcr80.dll, which doesn't appear when we use MSVC 6. As I don't have such problems and no good idea what the real cause of it is (maybe manifest files and/or compiler switch settings), I'm unsure if we will run into problems here.

In addition, we'll need to pack the msvc redist package into the installer, which is obviously not open source - is there a problem with this? I guess not, as even the GPL addresses this as a operating system / compiler extension.

If we do the "compiler update", do we want to put the redist exe into the Win32 libs dir on the subversion server, so it can be downloaded by the setup target?

Regards, ULFL

P.S: If I find some time, I'll try to include the manifest files into the dll and exe files (I read somewhere on the web that this is possible). I guess the seperate manifest files are at least one cause of the problems mentioned above. This will also make the handling in NSIS, U3, ... packaging easier.