Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Missing msvcr80.dll

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 14:06:15 -0700
On Fri, Mar 30, 2007 at 02:24:10AM -0300, Ronaldo Tomazeli Duarte wrote:

> I have some trouble running a version that I compiled of Wireshark:
>
> - compiled on XP SP2, using Visual Studio 2005 Express.
> - after compiling, I copied the Wireshark.exe from the build folder to the
> Program Files\Wireshark folder.
> - when I try to launch it, Windows warns me about the missing msvcr80.dll.
>
> I did a little research on the list about this issue, and all I could
> get is that I would need to download the Visual C++ 2005
> redistributables if I am trying to run Wireshark on a machine without
> Visual Studio installed. The fact is that I'm trying to run it in my
> development machine. Anyhow, I installed the redistributables and had
> no success also. Any clues of what am I doing wrong?

I'm not an expert with Wireshark on Windows build problems, but I
suspect that the problem is that you're copying just Wireshark.exe to
the installed folder.

You can either run it out of <wireshark build folder>\wireshark-gtk2
(ex: C:\Wireshark\wireshark-gtk2) or build an installation package and
install it.  You can build a .exe install package from the command line
with "nmake -f Makefile.nmake packaging" then find the installer file in
<wireshark build folder>\packaging\nsis\.

Steve