Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Regarding downloading source

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:05:30 +0100
Manjunath P wrote:
> Hi  Graham,
>       I followed  each and every step  faithfully as given in
> Developer's guide , but still I am not able to get the source and I get
> the same error.
>       I  download source from
> http://www.wireshark.org/download/src/wireshark-0.99.5.tar.gz
> separately(without SVN), untarred it through  cygwin, and then  tried to
> put the source into  SVN( by  specifying the untarred file  directory in
> the checkout file option ).  I got the error "Error: Unable to open an
> ra_local session to URL "
> I hv even  mailed to the dev  guide of  Tortoise but no  reply  from
> them....
>
>  Ur  advice is very  essential .... Pls help
> -----------Manju

Manju,

You seem to be mixing different approaches and not getting the best of
either.

You can use SVN *or* the downloaded source tarball, but trying to
combine them isn't a good idea.

To use SVN, on windows the choice is either command line SVN, or
TortoiseSVN.  There are other GUI clients, but I don't have a great deal
of experience with them.  Note that TortoiseSVN doesn't play well with
the cygwin version of SVN, but is OK with win32 SVN.  To use SVN follow
the instructions in the dev guide or my previous instructions (left
below) for TortoiseSVN.  Remember TortoiseSVN is all point and click and
menus via Explorer, and you will need to translate any command line SVN
instructions into the menu equivalent.

To use the tarball, just untar it and it is then ready, with no need for
SVN.  This is not the recommended approach as it is difficult to
integrate other developers changes with yours.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice