Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] State of pidl and idl/cnf files?

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 08:39:02 +0000
We kind of use the original idl files, or at least some of them.

There are two exceptions where we are out of sync with samba and that
is the EVENTLOG and the SRVSVC idl files where there are a additional
fields and functions that samba have not yet merged into their idl
files.

PIDL still needs an implementation of the TYPE conformance file
directive in order to manage prettification of strings.
This is required in order to make strings appear on the info column, etc.

I think we really need to get TYPE working properly in PIDL before we
can start PIDLifying the more critical interfaces such as LSA, SAMR,
NETLOGON.
PIDL is not yet mature enough to generate those interfaces (unless one
accepts a massive regression in useability and prettification)
Once I am happy with how PIDL can generate the less imporant
interfaces we already have PIDLified  I will cut those critical
interfaces over as well.
That will be quite a lot of work since our handwritten dissectors do
contain a lot of things that are not yet in the IDL files so they have
to be audited and all items not present in the idl files have to first
be merged to the idl files.

We are getting there, step by step.