Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Which takes precedence - plug-ins or built-in dissectors?

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 17:08:45 -0700

On Mar 28, 2007, at 2:28 PM, Bryan Miller wrote:

Guy, I am in agreement and that is what I anticipate doing with the bulk of my work. I this particular case the protocol is proprietary and will likely not
become public until 2008.

So is this an extension to an existing protocol, or a completely new protocol? (A new ONC RPC-based protocol or a new DCE RPC-based protocol is a new protocol, not an extension to an existing protocol.)

If it's a completely new protocol, there's no dissector already statically linked into Wireshark.

If it's an extension to an existing protocol, you'll have to modify the existing dissector and build a private version of Wireshark for internal use. (Anybody outside your organization to whom you give the modified version can ask for the source, and you have to provide it to them, and they can then give the source away to anybody they want.)