Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GIOP plugin compilation warning

From: Graham Bloice <graham.bloice@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 11:52:32 +0100
Ulf Lamping wrote:
> Graham Bloice wrote:
>> On MSVC 6.0 + PDSK, I had to remove the Wx from CFLAGS to allow
>> compilation to proceed due to a warning emitted when compiling
>> packet-parlay.c.
>>
>> The warning was that the number of lines exceed an internal limit
>> (65536) and no more line number info would be issued.
>>
>> The only fixes that I can see for this is to either split the file
>> somehow or add a "#pragma warning", but as this is a generated file both
>> those may be a little tricky.
>>
> ... or add /wd4049 to the Makefile.nmake CFLAGS, to ignore especially
> this warning.

No go I'm afraid.  MS VC 6.0 (AFAICT) doesn't allow you to specify
warnings to ignore from the command line.  It's all or nothing.

>> Shall I just commit the makefile change for the moment?
>>
> I would prefer to follow Ronnies approach to have different lists for
> the generated files (if the Makefile CFLAGS problem I've mentioned can
> be solved).
>
> However, the giop plugin is a special case here, as all files are
> generated for this dissector (when I remember correct).
>
> So adding /wd4049 is the way to go IMHO - this way the warnings won't
> show up while compiling.

As that doesn't work and this issue is breaking the buildbot, shall I
just commit my earlier suggestion?

>> P.S. I compile under VC 6.0 just for historical reasons as my ws dev env
>>  has been that way for years.  I have VS 2005, so moving isn't an issue
>> for me, but should we consider dropping support for earlier VC versions.
>>  This might clean up a few things.
>>
> I'm unsure if there's enough clean up to justify all developers to force
> an update ...

It might remove a few queries to the list, and as VS 2005 Express is
free, I can't think anyone in the right mind would attempt to start WS
dev on VC 6.0.  I suppose the main issue would be the buildbot.

--
Regards,

Graham Bloice