Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Patch] pragma warning

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 10:40:22 +0000
On 3/28/07, Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx> wrote:
ronnie sahlberg wrote:
> I dont think it is really realistic to have all autogenerated files
> always compile without any warnings.
> Maybe we should instead split Makefile.common up into three parts :
>
> First part : normal dissectors
>
> Second part : ANS2WRS generated dissectors  which take extra compile
> time flags and definitions to suppress artefacts from the compiler.
>
> Third part : PIDL generated dissectors that once again take extra
> compile parameters and definitions.

Sounds like a reasonable solution. It would also have the advantage that
we get a list of generated dissectors, which we currently don't have.

But: Is there a "makefile magic", so you can have different CFLAGS
settings for the different lists? Remember that we are using implicit
rules here.

Having three lists shouldn't be difficult to add, but I don't know how
to get the "compile logic" for it - however, I'm really not an expert on
this.

If there's a solution for this makefile problem, I think it's the way to
go ...

When it comes to the ANS2WRS dissectors are concerned  I think that
ANS2WRS is so mature now that maybe what we should do for those
dissectors would instead be to
remove them completely from epan/dissectors and make asn part of the
build process.
All these dissectors have their own makefile down in asn/* where one
can set additional or different compiler flags compared to those used
by the normal epan/dissectors.
These asn dissectors could even be linked to a separate dll :
libwireshark-asn.dll

As far as i remember,  the manual process of "make copy_files" and not
having the asn compilation part of the build process was really just
to wait doing so until we were sure asn2wrs was mature enough.