Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] GIOP plugin compilation warning

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 12:36:18 +0200
Graham Bloice wrote:
On MSVC 6.0 + PDSK, I had to remove the Wx from CFLAGS to allow
compilation to proceed due to a warning emitted when compiling
packet-parlay.c.

The warning was that the number of lines exceed an internal limit
(65536) and no more line number info would be issued.

The only fixes that I can see for this is to either split the file
somehow or add a "#pragma warning", but as this is a generated file both
those may be a little tricky.
... or add /wd4049 to the Makefile.nmake CFLAGS, to ignore especially this warning.
Shall I just commit the makefile change for the moment?
I would prefer to follow Ronnies approach to have different lists for the generated files (if the Makefile CFLAGS problem I've mentioned can be solved).

However, the giop plugin is a special case here, as all files are generated for this dissector (when I remember correct).

So adding /wd4049 is the way to go IMHO - this way the warnings won't show up while compiling.
P.S. I compile under VC 6.0 just for historical reasons as my ws dev env
 has been that way for years.  I have VS 2005, so moving isn't an issue
for me, but should we consider dropping support for earlier VC versions.
 This might clean up a few things.
I'm unsure if there's enough clean up to justify all developers to force an update ...

Regards, ULFL