Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] FYI: Status of gcc warnings in epan/dissectors

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 22:27:08 -0700
FYI: Update on warnings in epan/dissectors under gcc 4.0

Below is a list of the number of warnings remaining in epan/dissectors
when using gcc 4.0.  There are 3,915 warnings in this directory across
163 files.  Excluding files that show warnings as being in the .cnf
filename (such as asn generated) files, there are "only" 795 warnings.
This includes some pidl generated dissectors, whose warnings will be
fixed by Ronnie once the Samba team commits his change to add _U_ to
everything.

Almost all of the warnings I've fixed so far are "sign mismatches"
between guint8* and (g)char* :(.  552 of the 795 remaining warnings
outside of the .cnf files are this problem.

As Ulf said, the hole needs to be plugged to keep new warnings from
creeping in.  Unfortunately, I don't think it is as straightforward to
do with automake as it is under MSVC (adding a line to each file with
warnings), especially with this many warnings remaining.  I can't add
-Werror to epan/dissectors yet.  I do encourage everyone on Unix to
compile with the configure option --with-warnings-as-errors to keep
warnings from creeping into the directories where -Werror has been
applied.

#Warn File
   1 ess.cnf
   1 h225.cnf