Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Addition of basic SRTP/SRTCP support

From: "Luis Ontanon" <luis.ontanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 19:02:45 +0100
On 3/22/07, Neil Piercy <Neil.Piercy@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Attached are patches which provide a basic dissection of Secure RTP/RTCP
profile:

- display of the fields used in the SRTP & SRTCP payloads

- deliberate prevention of the normal dissection of the encrypted payloads

- addition of a callable interface to add SRTP (rather than RTP) streams
from signalling protocols.

There are no signalling protocols using this yet - I have a currently
private protocol which uses it, but I think SRTP/SRTCP support is of wider
relevance.

It has passed testing with our usage of these functions, but we certainly
don't exercise all paths, so all comment and testing welcome.

Ideally I (or somebody else) will go on to add decryption - some hooks are
already in the header files for this - and subsequent dissection of the
payload.

I'd also welcome any views on how to handle RTP profiles in general in
Wireshark, especially for non-signalled RTP captures: having lots of user
preferences sounds to me like it will get out of hand, but without that I'm
not sure how to deal with RTP payloads - de we need another layer of "Decode
As..." for RTP payloads ?

What about heuristics?
is there some sort of magic we can use to determine if it is SRTP?
is there a checksum or similar info we can check?

Regards,
Neil