Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] AMQP dissector - alpha version

From: "ronnie sahlberg" <ronniesahlberg@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 08:39:03 +0000
What you want is a plugin dissector.
Look in the plugins directory for examples on how these work.

This will result in a so/dll that you can distribute independently of wireshark.
There is one caveat though. Plugins rarely work across different
versions of wireshark due to api/abi changes.
So you ahve to be careful that the users use the same version of
wireshark that you built the plugin dissector for.
i.e.   build it against the most recently released version of
wireshark and not the current svn.

Once you send the dissector to wireshark for inclusion into mainline
we will probably convert it back from being a plugin to being a normal
builtin dissector.