Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Prevent compiler warnings by using "stop on warnings"/"treat

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 13:06:01 +0100
Jeff Morriss wrote:
In fact I meant it just as a stop-gap until someone (smarter--or at least with more than to dedicate to the purpose--than me) can fix Wireshark's unsigned-vs-signed char problem.

As it is, I have to scroll through hundreds of (probably not fixable by me) warnings just to get to things I have a chance of fixing. There's so many that my eyes glaze over as I'm looking for warnings--which makes it hard to detect "real" (read: "things I can do something about") warnings.

When I've gone on warning-fixing kicks I've resorted to doing:

% grep -i warn make.out | grep -iv "signed" | less

to find the ("real") warnings.  :-(
What you describe is one of the consequences with our current way of doing. Even people that are willing to fix their or other peoples warnings are having a "hard time" as there are so many of them :-(

If you start to fix the warnings that you can fix, that'll be a lot better than doing nothing at all ;-)

I just meant that in the long run just ignoring a long list of warnings is probably not a good idea ...

However, disabling the signed warning, fix the rest and setting the "stop on error" barrier would still be a lot better than what we currently have ...

Regards, ULFL