Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Prevent compiler warnings by using "stop on warnings"/"treat

From: Jeff Morriss <jeff.morriss@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 11:17:50 +0800

Luis Ontanon wrote:
the point is what kind of warnings can be cleaned up:

to fix "pointer arguments differ in signedness" for example  would be
a waste of time, as they are caused by guint8* used instaed of gchar*
on those systems (most) that treat char as an unsigned.

Actually GCC already has a way to avoid this: "-Wno-pointer-sign".

Apparently:

someone didn't like the fact that Linux had a few thousand such warnings when compiled with GCC 4.

We could add that and probably cut down the number of GCC warnings by, well, a few thousand.

Unfortunately I can't quite seem to figure out how to (correctly) test if GCC will accept the option, though. Any ideas?