Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Prevent compiler warnings by using "stop on warnings"/"treat

From: Sebastien Tandel <sebastien@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 04:16:52 +0100
I agree with Ulf. Warnings should not appear (at least most of them)
when compiling wireshark.

For the case "differ in signedness" case, you can use (guchar*). But as
it was already discussed with Guy, wireshark needs a library to handle
strings accurately. One starting point could simply be wrapping string
functions and not use anymore gchar in wireshark but for example, uint8_t.

Concerning, your second point, "warn and blame last committer", I
already thought that for helping the reviewers - which are a few for
wireshark - there could have a "simple" script which could do some
automated job when someone sends a patch to the list. For example :
- if there are new warnings when compiling, etc
- inspect use of "deprecated" C functions, "deprecated" wireshark
functions, use of g_malloc, ... I already wrote a patch for flawfinder
which inspects use of "dangerous" C functions taking into account only
the set of changes induced by the patch. (available in the last
version). We could extend it easily for wireshark purposes (like
inspecting if the patch is using classic memory allocation functions or
deprecated wireshark functions).

Regards,
Sebastien Tandel