Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Opinions: Splash screen

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 01:35:13 +0100
Graeme Lunt wrote:
Hi,

A while back, when Wireshark was being slow to startup I think, I added a
modified splash screen to my development version (see attached image). It
updates as each protocol is registered and then as it's handoff function is
called.

It obviously doesn't speed up initialisation, but does give some feedback as
to how the initialization is progressing and advertises (if sublimally!) the
range of protocols Wireshark supports.

Would this be a useful addition to Wireshark?

Yes, I think so.

I thought about that as well, but simply didn't found the time to implement it ...

As the number of protocols are ever increasing, the time to load the dissectors are ever increasing. Other applications like the Gimp do it similiar.

Regards, ULFL