Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Opinions on solving bug #1375: Capture Options with many IP

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 11:50:59 -0700
On Thu, Mar 15, 2007 at 12:05:41AM +0100, Ulf Lamping wrote:

> The best IMHO would be to show only something like you've described -
> cut after a specific amount of chars and append "...", the rest of the
> IP addresses should be displayed by the tooltip.

> Would it be possible to add a CR and/or NL to the tooltip text, so the
> problem you've described with the tooltip too big doesn't happen?

I tried inserting new lines instead of the spaces and the problem is
worse - I have to truncate the GString holding the list of IPs even
shorter for the tooltip to appear on the screen.  Casual browsing of the
GTK source code doesn't show a strict limit on how long the tooltip can
be (which is really a label inside of the pop-up).  The tooltip pop-up
is only a few IPv4 addresses wide and the width seems to be based on
many calculations internal to GTK.

Another option is to make part/all of that line a button without a
border that brings up a pop-up listing the IPs.

Maybe it's best to just stick to the addresses that will fit in the
window and put ... at the end and no more.

Steve