Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Opinions on solving bug #1375: Capture Options with many IP

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:27:08 -0700
Is there any reason why people care about the list of IP addresses other than "I'm on a multi-homed machine, and I want to capture traffic to and from machine YYY, so I need to know what the IP addresses are for the interfaces, so I can figure out which interface I need to capture on"?

If not, then perhaps what's needed is a tool that, at least for IPv4 addresses, takes an IP address as input and tells you which interface traffic to and from that address will go (if it can actually ask the OS that question or some similar routing question, it should do that, otherwise it can at least answer the question based on IP addresses and netmasks for addresses on the machine's LAN segments).