Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] User defined name resolution

From: Lars Ruoff <lars.ruoff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 18:17:27 +0100
Hi list,

i would like to implement something resembling the wishlist item "Name resolution":
A simple way to associate IP addresses with names, so that the names show up in the packet list instead of IP addresses.
I know about the workaraound that is described on the Wiki (http://wiki.wireshark.org/Preferences/NameResolution),
i.e. to use a host file and enable name resolution.
But enabling name resolution is not always feasible, for example when a big capture file comes from a customer site. Then name resolution slows down the loading process considerably. And you just don't need it. You won't be able to resolve the names anyway. All you want is have a mapping of (sometimes dozens of) IP addresses to more easily memorable names.
I just want to have a *simple* means of associating a capture file with a hosts file, loading it dynamically, at runtime.
Is this being worked on by someone already?

And if no, any suggestions on this?
I plan to have a menu item Files/Load Hosts File that would load the file and dynamically apply the name resolution.
I would call it "User name resolution" or similar and make it independend of network name resolution (overriding the latter if both are enabled).
Possibly the last loaded file should be stored and loaded by default at startup.

any other ideas?

regards,
Lars Ruoff