Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] wireshark build works on XP but not win2k3

From: Paul Panzl <ppanzl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2007 11:49:30 -0400

>> I followed the instructions at

>> http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked/ChSetupWin32.html
>> (very nice job by the way)
>
>thanks!
>

>> Everything works great for windows XP users.  However on win2k3 systems
>> when trying to execute the wireshark program
>> We get the following error message "This application failed to start
>> because MSVCR80.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix
>> this problem"
>>
>> Re-installing does not fix the problem.  On the win2k3 machines the
>> msvcr80.dll file is located in one of the C:\Windows\WinSxS\x86_xxxx
>> folders.
>>
>> I have looked through the config.nmake file and see nothing that would
>> address this.  Any suggestions?  thanks.
>>

>I guess you've already changed the MSVC_VARIANT to meet your compiler variant (and I guess it's MSVC2005 Express Edition).

yes I have MSVC_VARIANT=MSVC2005EE and only that msvc variant un-commented

>If MSVC_VARIANT is set right, the file vcredist_x86.exe must reside in the libs directory. If you build an installer, this file will be included then, you will notice a copyright note of Microsoft while installation of WS.

I see the msft copyright notice when i run the installer and vcredist_x86.exe is copied to C:\wireshark-win32-libs directory

>As msvcr80.dll is in one of the WinSxS folders, I assume that this worked ok.
>
>Unfortunately, Microsoft seems to have problems with win2k3 in this case - as we've followed the official way to install the missing msvcr80.dll :-(
>
>You could try to copy this dll into c:\Program Files\Wireshark, it may work then (there might be two other dlls also missing, can't remember their exact name).

no when i copy msvcr80.dll to c:\Program Files\Wireshark I get Visual C++ runtime error "R6034 An application has made an attempt to
load the C runtime library incorrectly.  Please contact the applications support team for more information."

The other 2 Dlls are msvcp80 and msvcr80 by the way.