Wireshark-dev: [Wireshark-dev] Wireshark Portable, running it from USB devices

From: "John T. Haller" <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 11:45:14 -0500
Hello all,

My name is John T. Haller and I'm the lead developer behind PortableApps.com. We've repackaged many popular programs like OpenOffice.org, Firefox, Thunderbird, PuTTY and more to be entirely portable and run from an USB device you'd like (flash drive, iPod, portable hard drive, etc). There have been a few people asking for a portable version of Wireshark to use in this setting.

I noticed you'd posted a package for the proprietary/closed U3 platform. The goal of PortableApps.com is to be compatible with all drives, not to lock people into drives from one manufacturer. This is born out by the download numbers as the portable apps see about 10x the downloads of the U3 apps.

So, I was wondering if you'd consider working on a portable solution in addition to (or instead of) the package for the niche U3 platform. I'd be happy to assist and contribute code to that end, of course. And, it would be easier for all the Wireshark developers and users to test since you can run it from any existing hardware you have (or even from your local hard drive).

Kind Regards,
John

--
Head Portable Apps Guy