Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Regarding Dissector

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:09:27 -0800
On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 11:25:09AM +0530, Vipin M wrote:

> I used ethereal / wireshark to sniffing WLAN ( IEEE 802.11 ) packet.
> Now for some of my research purpose i like to add a new dissector. I
> red through README.developer of dissector. I am not clear how to add a
> new protocol and also the flow of packet in the ethereal / wireshark
>
> I like to know is there is any other document to understand better way
> or how i can start going through the code. Please help me.

The document doc/README.developer is a good place to get started writing
a dissector.  There is a template between "Cut here" that you modify as
needed to make a dissector.  Another option is to copy an existing
(simple) dissector and modify it accordingly.  What protocol are you
writing a dissector for?

Another good reference is the Wireshark Developer's Guide:

	http://www.wireshark.org/docs/wsdg_html_chunked

A diagram showing the architecture of Wireshark can be found in section
6.2.

Steve