Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] [Wireshark-commits] rev 20908: /trunk/ /trunk/epan/dissector

From: Michael Tuexen <Michael.Tuexen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:08:18 +0100
Comments in-line.

Best regards
Michael

On Feb 26, 2007, at 5:32 PM, Luis Ontanon wrote:

I got it clear now.

But I have thought of another way to relate both sides: TSN.

Other than the table indexed by [spt,dpt,vtag] from where we look for
known "half associations" we can have a table indexed by
(spt,dpt,highest_tsn_seen_so_far).

If we find an entry in that table that is equal to the
cummulative_tsn_ack of a sack's half association, its very unlikelly
that we get anything but the right other half.
You are assuming one thing:
You do not see multiple association using the ame TSN range.
This is true when
1. you have short captures
2. the initial TSN is selected by random

The second point is true for a lot of implementations but I know
of implementations which always start with TSN=0. This is fully
compliant with the SCTP spec.

I have traces where there's no way to correlate the IP of two different paths.

IP_A1->IP_B1 PT_A PT_B VTAG_AB
IP_A2->IP_B2 PT_B PT_A VTAG_BA

Are you sure? Are you talking about two end-points A and B
having port number PT_A and PT_B. So the situation should look like

IP_A1->IP_B1 PT_A PT_B VTAG_AB
IP_B2->IP_A2 PT_B PT_A VTAG_BA

RFC 2960 states that if a packet with DATA chunks is sent from IP_A1
to IP_B1 the corresponding SACK should be sent to IP_A1. But
this might not apply if both send continuously data and A uses
IP_B1 as its primary and B uses A_2 as its primary path. This is
valid. However, this would mean the A should send HEARTBEATS to
IP_B2. and you should be able to tie both halves together by these
messages.

So I think the following would be appropriate:
- consider triple od src port, dst port and v-tag identifying half associations.
- use the addresses to typ two half associations together by looking at
  at INIT-ACK chunks, DATA/SACK pairs, HEARTBEAT/HEARTBEAT-ACK pairs,
INIT-ACK/COOKIE pairs, COOKIE/COOKIE-ACK pairs. The pairing is based on
  IP-addresses.
This should be a pretty good heuristic.
If you are not able to tie two half associations together, you could try
to use DATA/SACK paris based on TSN, as you are suggesting.
But I would only do this if the above does not work out. This heuristic makes assumptions which are not covered by the RFC, but if you only us it when the rest is not working, it is better to do something which is possibly wrong,
than to do nothing.
on the other hand for all traces I have TSN values are different (by
far) for every direction on every association.

Is there any reason why this should not work?