Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Stats_tree generalization

From: Andy Howell <AndyHowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 02:29:03 -0600
On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 01:25:08AM -0600, Andy Howell wrote:

I've just added support for "tap" and stats_tree in my dissector. I would like to have a stats_tree-like display that includes my own columns. In particular, I want a summary of the number of bytes sent by each message type in my protocol.

I can see three options:

1) Modify the existing stats_tree code to handle a developer defined set of columns.

This is probably the best method to start an attempt at, hpoefully without requiring changes to the existing dissectors that use the stats tree API.

Steve,

Having studied the code some more, this looks reasonable. My plan is to leave the existing interface intact, and add a new extended stats_tree_register_ex that takes an array of column names and a callback function to write column data to a buffer for use by the underlying gtk and tshark presentation code.

Thanks,

	Andy