Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] having trouble building a minimal dissector

From: Stephen Fisher <stephentfisher@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 13:58:54 -0800
On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 01:21:47PM -0800, David Bunch wrote:

> Hi im trying to build a dissector for a protocol that runs on top of
> udp.  I have read the README.developer and README.pluggin however I am
> still having trouble getting a bare minimal dissector up and running
> and showing up in the supported protocol list in the supported
> protocol list window.  Does anyon have a bare minimum dissector that
> will compile, that I can add things too?  Or better yet, could someone
> take a look at my dissector and tell me what is wrong with it?

Are you developing a built-in or plug-in dissector?  The built-in ones
are probably easier - you just have to add it to
epan/dissectors/Makefile.common and have one file in epan/dissectors/
for your dissector code.  I usually start out using the sample dissector
code in README.developer between "Cut here" marks.  If you're still
having trouble, attach your dissector code to an e-mail and one of us
can take a look at it.

Steve