Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Build problem (was Re: Patch for bug 310)

From: "Prokash Sinha" <prokashs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 15:11:10 -0800
I'm sorry for not creating a thread. I'm using http base email, and it is bouncing on this list.

Okay here is my experience so far. (Some of them would not be very very accurate, since I was not logging all what I had been seeing )

1) I was expecting that I will install cygwin ( not necessary all the packages that comes with it ).

2) I would not be using he cygwin env., as I saw in the doc as a note or warning. But I would expect the header files should be in right directory structure. As of today, the glib.h is severly outplaced if I try to bring the glib package using cygwin setup. What I like to see is that  there is a root lib folder ( for example: c:\cygwin\lib or c:\wireshark\lib etc), and other package (library incudeds ) should go under it. At least that is the way the config.nmake file is showing. Also there should be a clear indication about what needs to be pulled into the machine ( as an example the glib that comes with cygwin , did not work, otherwise I would not to get glib from sourceforge ).

3) Those optional components' configuration should be set off by default ( i.e commented out ). I saw winpcap for example was giving problem when I tried to comment them out of configuration. My idea is minimally what I can build, and then bring along components as needed.

4) Now there is another optional component snmp, when I comment out  the conf.nmake file I get some error. So  I bring yet once again the net-snmp under c:\cygwin\lib, and now I find other  error.

Also I've seen sometime when I do the build from the root ( ie. c:\wireshark ), and if there happens to be a vc6.pdb file in the winpcap ( due to a previous build but same env. and only 10mts to 1 hr old ), the linker complains about that, i needed to clean all of those, rebuild that component, and come back to the root to shoot the build and let it go pass that point.

So it would be nice to spell out in the doc to mention if some of those libs needs tobe brough over separately and independently of cygwin. As an example the doc clearly says brings in python.

Once again, sorry for piggy-backing other note. I will fix my non-http based client to send future emails, that way I would not pollute other thread.

NOW COMING TO THE BUILD ERROR I'M STUCK FOR NOW -

C:\Documents and Settings\psinha\wireshark\epan\dissectors>nmake -f Makefile.nma
ke

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 6.00.9782.0
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1988-1998. All rights reserved.

        cl -DWIN32 -DNULL=0 -D_MT -D_DLL -DHAVE_CONFIG_H /I. /I.. /I../.. /IC:\c
ygwin\lib\glib\include\glib-2.0  /IC:\cygwin\lib\glib\lib\glib-2.0\include  /IC:
\cygwin\lib\net-snmp-5.4\include /IC:\cygwin\lib\net- snmp-5.4\win32        /IC:\
cygwin\lib\WPdpack\include -D_U_="" /Zi /W3 /MD -Fd.\ -c packet-snmp.c
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 12.00.8804 for 80x86
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-1998. All rights reserved.

packet-snmp.c
packet-snmp-template.c(106) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'winp
osixtype.h': No such file or directory
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'cl' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

-pro