Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Saving settings as "Profiles"

From: "Douglas Pratley" <Douglas.pratley@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:44:13 -0000
I'd recommend tackling it in two stages:

(a) Do it the "normal" Wireshark way, with a "user_decodes" file being
read from both the user settings directory and global settings directory
at startup (see Appendix A.2 of the users guide), and any changes being
saved to the user directory "user_decodes" file.

(b) Solve the "per-file" settings issue by getting profiles working for
all settings, not just user decodes.

This is probably more work, but I think that having a special "per-file"
mechanism just for user decodes would be bad.

I'm going to take a think about the "profiles" problem and put any ideas
back on this thread, but I'd treat that and the decodes as two separate
issues for now.

As for the user decodes themselves, there are two things that might make
life a little difficult:

(a) I can't see a good "key" for dissectors that you could persist to
file. All the dissectors displayed in the Decode As lists have an
associated protocol, and thus a "name" that is displayed, but the
relationship between protocols and dissectors is not one-to-one, so I
don't think you can use the protocol as the key.

(b) I submitted a patch a few weeks ago ("User can select dissector
based on packet matching display filter") that might make your life more
complicated - it allows any of a wide range of dissectors to be added to
the available lists in the Decode As dialog. When / if this patch is
processed, the sub-dissector selected for a port might not be one that
is not by default in the list of available dissectors for the table, but
one that was added by the user through the "more protocols" dialog.

I looked at tackling persisting the user decodes as part of my patch,
but decided that it was too complex to do until I had more time...

Cheers

Doug