Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Saving settings as "Profiles"

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:56:56 -0800
Douglas Pratley wrote:

Following on from recent comments about being able to save "user decodes", has anyone been working on being able to save Wireshark settings under different "profiles"? There's some discussion of this on the Wiki, and it would obviously be a very useful feature if user decodes are persisted. Or is there a feeling that this question is best left until there is the next generation PCAP file format to play with, as settings could be embedded in that?

Given that Wireshark can read files other than libpcap files, and will continue to be able to read them, and that this is probably considered a significant feature (as it means you can use Wireshark even on media on which it can't capture), whilst it might be useful to allow various Wireshark settings to be put into pcap-NG files, it wouldn't be *sufficient* to allow that.

One feature that might be useful would be support for a "Wireshark settings file" that could be associated with a capture, so that if a file named foo.{pcap,cap,...} were opened, Wireshark could look for foo.wssettings, or something such as that, and, if it finds, load it.

Or is the suggestion on the Wiki that profiles could be implemented as sub-directories of the user's settings directory better? That would mean profiles could be applied to different files and different live captures.

That might also be useful; I think somebody asked for that at one point.