Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] saving "User Specified Decodes"

From: Andy Howell <AndyHowell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:40:06 -0600
Jaap Keuter wrote:
Hi,

Another way to help yourself, in case this is your own protocol dissector,
is to make the dissector heuristic. Then you never have to setup the
"decode as" at all!

Jaap,

Thanks. I did that for an internal dissector I wrote long ago. Unfortunately the protocol in question has no "magic" numbers to make identification fairly straight forward. Its got a bunch of variable length fields, as well. I guess I would have to try unpacking the whole packet to see if its possibly the protocol in question.

Thanks,

	Andy