Wireshark-dev: Re: [Wireshark-dev] Problem loading custom DLL with standard Wireshark distribut

From: Ulf Lamping <ulf.lamping@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 21:05:04 +0100
Chris Delaney wrote:
Hello,

I am having a problem loading my custom dissector plugin .dll with the standard distribution of Wireshark 0.99.5. I checked out the source tree (0.99.5) via Subversion and was able to successfully build the Wireshark executables along with my plugin .dll. When running the version that I built, my plugin loads fine and the dissector operates as expected. However, if I download the standard (binary) version of Wireshark 0.99.5, after installing and copying my plugin .dll to the .../plugins/0.99.5 directory I get the infamous:

Couldn't load module <path>\xxx.dll: The specified module could not be found

I'm guessing that I am not providing the correct build options for the .dll, but cannot seem to find which one. I also tried to copy a .dll of one of the standard plugins (ciscosm) that I built to the plugins directory of the standard distribution and that failed as well. So it does not seem to be my particular plugin, but rather my build environment. Specifically:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition (version 2.0.50727)
Microsoft Platform SDK for Windows Server 2003 R2
Windows XP Professional SP 2
Wireshark 0.99.5

Two things comes to mind:

- copy the xxx.dll.manifest file along with the dll (this is new with Visual C++ version 8) - install vcredist_x86.exe (if the machine running WS isn't the machine where studio is installed)

Regards, ULFL